Loose Leaf Daily Rotating Header Image

Does Green Tea Have Caffeine?

I had someone ask me the other day, “Does Green Tea Have Caffeine?”. In answering this question, we got into a conversation about caffeine in general and the relative caffeine contents for various teas, in comparison to each other, and inevitably to coffee. What I realized is that there seems to be good amount of confusion when it comes to this topic.

To get a good answer, we need to step back and look at caffeine for a minute.

What is Caffeine? Caffeine, was discovered in 1819 by a German chemist, as a natural compound found in coffee. Later, around 1827, it was determined that tea contained a substance strikingly similar, while initially named “Theine”, it was later determined to be the same compound found in coffee and so the Caffeine name stuck and “Theine” was dropped.[1] Caffeine can be found in varying quantities in the leaves and fruits of many different plants.

What is the role of Caffeine? Caffeine in plants acts as a natural pesticide killing off specific insects that attempt to feed off of the plants. In humans, as we know, it’s a central nervous system stimulant that can give us energy or the jitters depending on when we take it and how much.

What factors determine Caffeine content? There are many factors that determine caffeine content, most notably in tea and coffee, the factors include: variety, growing conditions, processing, preparation. Some studies have even shown that in tea the location of the leaf on the plant can affect caffeine level.[2]

So how does tea stack up in the ranks for caffeine content Well, it depends.
Tea actually contains more caffeine than coffee, when measured in it’s dried form. Does this go against everything you thought? You’re not alone, fortunately for us, we don’t generally consume tea in it’s dry state.
Once prepared, tea in contrast to coffee, has about 1/2 to 1/3 the caffeine.

So now that we’ve got that straightened out, “Does Green Tea Have Caffeine?
Yes, but not as much as you might think.

Caffeine content varies by sample, but in general, this is how tea stacks up.
Black tea contains the most caffeine, while white tea comes in with the least. Below are the types of tea ranked in order by average caffeine content.[3]
Black Tea – About 40mg per 8oz.
Oolong Tea – About 30mg per 8oz.
Green Tea – About 20mg per 8oz.
White Tea – About 15mg per 8oz.

What about decaffeinated tea?
Decaffeination is the process by which the caffeine is removed from tea. This can be green tea, black tea, oolong, whatever; any type of tea can be decaffeinated, though green tea and black tea are by far the most commonly seen decaffeinated.
There are two primary methods of decaffeinating tea, the first involves soaking the beans in a solvent, the second, water.
Water extraction is the most common, and involves soaking the leaves for a short period of time. To maintain flavor, the water can then be run through charcoal filter and then re-added to the leaves, where through the process of evaporation, the flavor can be maintained.

Decaffeinate your own tea
Because the majority of caffeine is released in the first 30-40 seconds of steeping, you can decaffeinate, or at least partially decaffeinate, your tea at home by steeping your leaves briefly, tossing the water and then steeping the tea.

I hope this has cleared up some of the confusion about caffeine and tea, and at the very least, you’ve learned more about caffeine than you ever wanted to know.

Happy Steeping!

1. The World of Caffeine by Routledge
2. Caffeine by The Institute of Food Technologists’ Expert Panel on Food Safety & Nutrition, All About Tea by William H. Ukers
3. Internation Food Information Council, All About Tea by William H. Ukers

1. Great post! I loooove caffeine. What is great about tea’s caffeine content is that it doesn’t seem to give you a huge rush then extreme crash as coffee and energy drinks seem to do. It’s more of an even energy boost. I like that. I really like this blog, great content!

2. Rob says:

Thank you, I enjoy yours as well. I agree with you about the caffeine, it definitely provokes a different reaction. You don’t get the rush and crash as you said, it’s a more gradual and mild curve. Not to mention the fact that different types of tea have different caffeine levels, so you can balance that with what you are in the mood for, all this and health benefits too. What more could you want?

Thanks again.

3. Olivia Smith says:

the antioxidants in green tea really helps prevent cancer and some other forms of tumors.:-`

4. i love the taste of green tea and it also helps you relax by lowering your blood pressure*'”

5. Sean Parrish says:

Dr. Tea,
    My 14-week old kitten has just consumed my entire mug Green Tea. It’s tounge has been hanging out of the side of it’s mouth for the past hour and running around in circles. Please help!!!

6. green tea has lots of anti-oxidant that is really needed by our body to combat free radicals-,;

7. PH Paper : says:

green tea also have lots of anti-oxidants that support cardiovascular health,,.

8. i would love to sip a cup of green tea each morning because it contains L-theanine which calms the mind ;~.

9. Zener Diode says:

~;- I am very thankful to this topic because it really gives useful information ;*”

10. SestGuctite says:

Alexander Kuzmin has won the World Poker Tour Southern Poker Championship at the Beau Rivage Resort and Casino in Biloxi, Mississippi.

11. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I’ve really loved browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your feed and I’m hoping you write again soon!

12. click says:

Hey there, I just hopped over to your web-site via StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would generally browse, but I enjoyed your thoughts none the less. Thank you for making something worth reading through.

13. Arielle says:

Hi blogger, i found this post on 25 spot in google’s search results.
    You should decrease your bounce rate in order to rank in google.
    This is major ranking factor nowadays. There is very handy wp plugin which
    can help you. Just search in google for:
    Lilas’s Bounce Plugin

14. Rich says:

Thank you for your comment about briefly steeping the tea to decaffeinate it. This may prove invaluable to me and other tea EATERS. Recently I started taking green tea seriously as a food. Until yesterday that meant liquid tea. Then I found eatgreentea.com yesterday evening after deciding on my own to add to my dinner salad the loose leaves I had sun-brewed in the afternoon. The page on the website titled “Why eat green tea?” displays a chart comparing the levels of 15 antioxidants in a cup of brewed tea to those in the leaves themselves: http://www.eatgreentea.com/why-green-tea/ The author says the chart was copied from a USDA site, and the stats are electrifying. So, I thought I’d struck gold (or green) until I woke this morning with a horrific charley horse–in each leg! After attending to the immediate trauma I thought back to what I’d eaten yesterday and the prime suspect was the first-ever tea leaf consumption (BTW, it was approx. 4 TSPsful–enough to make my four cups of sun tea). Theorizing that the huge increase in antioxidants (thousands of %) might be accompanied by a similar jump in caffeine I made some calls (to the local ref librarian, ag college ref librarian, etc.) and emailed eatgreentea.com. I really don’t wish to abandon my tea-eating due to a single incident, but neither do I wish to invite a second episode. The first was impressive enough to hold my attention. (Seven hours later I still have residual pain in each calf.) Probably I should wait to send this I’ve tried steeping the leaves. But it’s written now, and I might not get back to this page for a while. In any case, thank you for your interest in this subject and for sharing your knowledge. Sure do hope that it holds the solution (no pun intended).

15. Rich says:

Oops. Missing word in my post: fourth line from the bottom should read “…wait to send this until I’ve tried steeping…” (blush) Thanks again.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Adobe Flash player

Warning: mysql_query(): No such file or directory in /home/robsterba/looseleafdaily.com/wp-content/plugins/quickstats/quickstats.php on line 345

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/robsterba/looseleafdaily.com/wp-content/plugins/quickstats/quickstats.php on line 345

Warning: mysql_query(): No such file or directory in /home/robsterba/looseleafdaily.com/wp-content/plugins/quickstats/quickstats.php on line 346

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/robsterba/looseleafdaily.com/wp-content/plugins/quickstats/quickstats.php on line 346

Warning: mysql_fetch_row() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/robsterba/looseleafdaily.com/wp-content/plugins/quickstats/quickstats.php on line 346